Skip to main content

Who can register?

On this page you will find information about who can register with us.

Social workers, social work students and most job roles in the social service sector must register with the SSSC.

You need to be working in a social service role in a service registered with the Care Inspectorate when you apply for registration, unless you are a social worker or student.

You should check with your employer to find out if the role you are in requires registration. Agency and relief workers also need to register with the SSSC if they are carrying out a role that requires registration.

If you are already registered with one of the regulatory bodies listed below you do not need to register with us unless you are a social worker or social work student.

If you have any questions about your qualifications being suitable for SSSC registration, please contact us using the web form on our Contact us page.

We register people who work in early years and residential child care, adult day care and residential care, care at home and housing support services.

To register with the SSSC you must satisfy the criteria for registration. This includes holding, or agreeing to work towards, the appropriate qualifications for the job they do.

If you do not currently hold all the required qualifications we can still grant your registration subject to the condition that you achieve the required qualifications within your first period of registration.

Find out more about qualifications here.

You need to achieve registration within six months of starting a new role.

Social Workers not living or working in Scotland will not be able to be registered until they are either living in or have gained employment in Scotland.

If you apply for registration, we will process and hold your application for six months. Please note that if you do not gain residency or employment within this timescale your application will be rejected, as the initial fee is a processing fee this will not be refunded.

Who should apply to register

Registration is compulsory for many social service roles so visit our ‘Help with Register parts, fees and qualifications tool' for more information.

Access the tool here

Search the Register

Check the registration status of a social worker or social care worker employed in Scotland

Search the Register

Continuous professional learning (CPL)

Continuous professional learning (CPL) is the learning we do for work which helps us develop our knowledge, skills and professional behaviour so we can deliver our best practice.

SSSC Codes of Practice

The Codes of Practice set out the standards of practice and behaviour expected of social service workers and their employers.

Registration and MySSSC help centre

Visit our registration and MySSSC help centre to find the answers to common questions, including qualifications for registration, MySSSC accounts and employer access.