Skip to main content

Managing my registration

There are several things you need to do to maintain your registration and continue working in your role.

Complete your annual declaration

Each year, around the time of your registration date, we’ll ask you to complete an annual declaration. You can do this in your MySSSC account. You’ll need to confirm your personal and employment details or provide updated details and pay your annual fee.

We’ll also ask you to confirm your continuous professional learning (CPL) is up to date.

We have produced a step-by-step video guide on how to complete and submit your annual declaration in your MySSSC account.

Watch the video

Follow the Codes of Practice

The Codes of Practice for Social Service Workers set out the standards, behaviours and values of conduct and practice you must meet as a registrant. The Codes apply to behaviour inside and outside of work.

Find out about the Codes

Know the guidelines on using social media

It’s important to maintain boundaries between your role as a professional social service worker and your personal life. Our social media guidance provides general advice. You should also refer to your own employer’s guidance on using social media.

Raising concerns in the workplace guidance

To help ensure public protection people working in social services have a duty to raise concerns in the workplace and employers need to make sure they can do this in an easy and safe way.

Our Raising concerns in the workplace – Guidance for employers, social service workers and social work students will help you find out what to do if you are unsure about how to raise a concern in your workplace.

Complete your continuous professional learning (CPL)

Continuous professional learning (CPL) is the learning you do for work which helps develop knowledge, skills and professional practice to help deliver high quality care. We have a CPL website that will help you find learning opportunities relevant to your role and career stage to meet your CPL requirements.

Complete a qualification to meet a registration condition

We may have registered you with a qualification condition. This means you didn’t hold the qualifications needed for your role when you registered and we’ve given you time to gain your qualification.

You need to complete the required qualification within the time we’ve given. Remember to let us know when you gain your qualification/s so we can update your registration.

Read more about qualifications in our help centre.

Keep your details up to date

You can tell us about changes to your personal, employment, health or qualification details at any time using your MySSSC account. We need to know as soon as possible if there are changes to:

  • home address
  • phone number
  • email address
  • criminal convictions or disciplinary matters
  • health matters that impact you being able to carry out your job
  • employment – starting or leaving a job, change of employer or job role
  • gaining a qualification relevant to your registration condition.

We have produced a video to help you to tell us about any changes to your employment details in MySSSC.

Watch the video

Claiming tax relief on registration fees

You may be able to claim tax relief on your SSSC registration fees. You can claim tax relief backdated up to six years.

  1. To claim tax relief, use form P87 the website.
  2. You can telephone HMRC to ask for tax relief on your fees. You can find contact details for HMRC on the website.
  3. If you complete a self-assessment tax return, you can claim tax relief on your registration fees on the employment page of the return.

See the HMRC website for further details including allowable expenses, eligibility and claiming back tax for past years.

Please note you must pay the full fee to the SSSC first, then, if you are eligible, claim tax relief from HMRC. We cannot directly deduct tax relief from the registration fees you pay us.

Who should apply to register

Registration is compulsory for many social service roles so visit our ‘Help with Register parts, fees and qualifications tool' for more information.

Access the tool here

Search the Register

Check the registration status of a social worker or social care worker employed in Scotland

Search the Register

Continuous professional learning (CPL)

Continuous professional learning (CPL) is the learning we do for work which helps us develop our knowledge, skills and professional behaviour so we can deliver our best practice.

SSSC Codes of Practice

The Codes of Practice set out the standards of practice and behaviour expected of social service workers and their employers.

Registration and MySSSC help centre

Visit our registration and MySSSC help centre to find the answers to common questions, including qualifications for registration, MySSSC accounts and employer access.