Skip to main content

Registration is changing

Registration changed on 3 June 2024.

Our changes mean being registered with the SSSC is simple, easy to understand and that people know about the benefits and value of being registered and the standards, skills and qualifications needed to deliver high quality care.

Most changes happened automatically and if you are already registered you didn’t need to do anything.

Find everything you need to know about the changes we’ve made below, or you can watch our video presentation with an overview at the bottom of the page.    

Information sessions for registrants and employers

Join one of our free online information sessions to find out more about what the changes mean for you as a registrant or an employer. Find dates and book your place.


I’m registered with the SSSC, will I need to apply again when the changes come into force?

No, you will not need to apply for registration again. We will make all the necessary changes and let you know when this happens. We will contact everyone on our Register to let you know your new Register part(s).

How do I know what my service type and level of job role should be on the new Register?

If you are already registered, we’ll move you to the new corresponding part of the Register.

For example, if you are registered as a practitioner in a day care of children service, we’ll move you to the part for ‘children and young people workforce’ with a service type of ‘day care of children service’ at the level of job role ‘practitioner’.

The Changes to the Register table shows the detail of the current and new Register parts.

Will my registration date change?

No, your date of registration will stay the same. This is the date of your original registration if you have not been off the Register for any periods of time.

Will my fees change?

Your fee will be the same, based on the service type and level of job role of work you do. Your fee would only change if your role requires you to move to a different level of job role.

What is the annual declaration and what do I need to do?

To maintain your registration, you must complete an annual declaration around the time of your registration date. You’ll be able to do this in your MySSSC account. We’ll have guidance on how to do this on our website.

You’ll need to confirm your personal and employment details or provide updated details and pay your annual fee. This replaces the previous five yearly registration renewal. Annual declarations don’t need to be endorsed by employers.

When will my first annual declaration be due?

Your first annual declaration will be when you are due to pay your next fee from 3 June 2024. We’ll contact you around a month before it’s due and you’ll be able to access it from then.

What happens if I don’t complete my annual declaration?

You’ll have around seven weeks to complete your annual declaration from when we first contact you. We’ll email you around one month before your annual declaration is due, again on the day it’s due and if you don’t submit it within seven days we’ll send you 14 days’ notice of removal from the Register if it is not received.

Will you tell employers if annual declarations are not completed?

Employers will be able to see details of workers’ annual declaration due dates and whether they’ve been submitted in MySSSC. Employers can set up alerts to be notified when we issue a removal notice and when we remove someone from the Register for not completing their annual declaration.

If I have more than one registration will I need to do more than one annual declaration?

No, you will only have to complete one annual declaration. When completing your annual declaration, we’ll ask you to review and update details relating to your different registrations and employment.

What if I have a qualification condition?

If you are already registered, the time you have to gain your qualification won’t change.

What if my job involves working with children and adults?

If you are working in a service registered to deliver care to adults and children, you’ll be registered on the social care workforce and the children and young people workforce parts of the Register. We’ll make these changes for everyone already on the Register.

I am a social worker but also work in residential childcare. Do I still need to register on both parts?

Yes, the social worker Register part is for people who hold a recognised social work qualification but if you are working in a residential childcare service, you also need to register on the children and young people workforce part.

Will I need to apply for a different part of the Register if I change jobs?

For most changes you would only need to tell us your new level of job role, any changes to your place of work and your new employer, if that also changes.

However, if you are moving from working with adults to children, for example, you would need to come off one part of the Register and apply for another.

In these circumstances you’d have three months from starting your new role to apply for the new Register part.

I’m registered on two different parts of the Register – housing support and care at home. Will I still have two separate registrations?

No, you will be registered on the social care workforce part. This includes people working in housing support, care at home, adult care home or adult day care.

You still need to tell us all the services you are working in.

What do the changes mean for independent social workers?

There is no change in the Register for social workers. Anyone undertaking the functions of a social worker and using the title of social worker must be registered.

What do the changes mean if you are a practice educator or in another non-frontline role and registered as a social worker?

There are no changes specific to social workers in non-frontline roles. You will need to meet the new CPL requirements that will apply to all registered social workers.

What new information will you publish on the Register on the SSSC website and why?

We currently publish fitness to practise information on a separate part of the SSSC website from the Register. We want to improve the publicly available Register so information is easy to find, in one place and promotes our aim of protecting and upholding public confidence.

The table in the 'Changes to the Register search on the SSSC website' section below outlines the changes to the Register on our website.

Will any new groups of workers have to register with the SSSC?

There are no changes to the groups that need to register with the SSSC.

When will the three-month registration deadline for new workers start? 

From 3 June 2024 anyone starting a role that requires registration has three months to apply for registration. You should start your application as soon as possible so you're registered within the required six months.

What happens if an employee does not apply for registration within three months?

The new requirement to apply for registration within three months is in the legislation. Previously the legislation said that an employee must apply ‘as soon as reasonably practicable’. The requirement is still that a worker must be registered within six months.

If a worker fails to gain registration within six months, employers need to decide what action to take.

We publish joint guidance with the Care Inspectorate on who should register, when and what to consider if a worker is not registered appropriately.

What we currently publish What we will publish
Registration number Registration number
Town of employment Town of employment
Register part Register part
Registration status Service type and level of job role
Removed date (if applicable) Registration status
Suspended from date (if applicable) Removed date (if applicable)
Suspended to date (if applicable) Suspended from date (if applicable)
Suspended to date (if applicable)
Fitness to practise information currently published on another part of the website: Decisions

Does the three-year timescale to gain a qualification apply to all Register parts?

No. These parts of the Register will still get five years, if you are required to do two qualifications.

Any new registrant who is registered as a:

  • supervisor
  • manager
  • residential childcare worker

with no recognised qualification will have five years.

Anyone already holding a qualification which meets either practice, supervisor, management or academic requirements will have three years.

When does the three-year timescale come in for the social care workforce?

We’ve delayed the introduction of the three-year timescale to gain a qualification for registrants in the social care workforce until June 2025. This is in response to feedback about the pressures of such a large part of the workforce having to gain qualifications in a short space of time.

I already have a qualification condition. Do I now only have three years to meet it?

If you are already registered the time you have to gain your qualification won’t change. Three years will only apply to new people joining the Register from 3 June 2024.

What happens if I am off work due to ill health or maternity leave? Will I get more time to gain my qualification?

If you have an acceptable reason for being unable to gain the qualification within the timescale, we can consider giving you more time. You can find more information about asking for longer here.

Does the introduction of the practitioner level for care at home and housing support mean I need to move from being a support worker and do another qualification?

No, you can remain a support worker if your employer and you decide to remain at that level of job role.

The new practitioner level will allow organisations to employ workers carrying out the function of a practitioner role, which is in line with other groups on our Register. It will support career progression for those wishing to work at a practitioner level but who do not want to be a supervisor or manager.

What will the qualification requirements be for the new practitioner level for care at home and housing support?

The qualification requirement is similar to those for practitioners on other parts of the Register and our recognised benchmark qualifications, SVQ Social Services and Healthcare at SCQF level 7.

Qualifications for registration

We’ll take a more flexible approach to qualifications for registration to allow people to move between social care and children and young people services without having to gain two different qualifications.

The standard qualification for workers in adult services is the SVQ Social Services and Healthcare and for workers in children’s services it’s the SVQ Social Services (Children and Young People) qualifications. We’ll now accept either of these qualifications for registrants working in both adult and children’s services.

We’ll ask registrants moving to another type of service to complete some extra learning, for example child or adult protection, as part of their CPL rather than doing another qualification.  

How will continuous professional learning (CPL) be different?

We’re changing continuous professional learning (CPL) for registrants to focus on key skills and knowledge required depending on a registrant’s role and the stage of their career, for example induction or changing jobs. Registrants will need to cover core learning elements to meet the CPL requirements and we’re developing a new CPL website to help registrants find relevant learning opportunities.

Find out more in the new CPL requirements article.

When should I start the new CPL? 

Registrants completing their CPL under the old requirements can continue with that until their first annual declaration, when you’ll move to the new requirements. You will complete your first annual declaration when your next fee is due after 2 June 2024 and we will let you know when that is. 

How do I know how much learning to do if I’m not recording hours?

It’s up to you and your supervisor to make sure you do enough learning to meet the core learning elements and the mandatory trauma awareness and adult and child protection learning.

How should I record my CPL and do I need to upload it as part of the annual declaration?

You can record your CPL the way that works best for you and our MyLearning app can help. You should also discuss your CPL during supervision.

You won’t have to upload your CPL record as part of the annual declaration, although we will ask for additional information if you are chosen for CPL sampling.

I’m on two parts of the Register, will I have to follow two CPL pathways? 

You should follow whatever pathway is relevant, or a mix of pathways. You can always discuss this with your supervisor.  

What will social workers who have been off the Register for more than two years need to do to return to practice?

We’re introducing return to practice requirements for social workers who have been out of practice and off the SSSC Register for more than two years. The requirements are a mix of supervised practice, informal and formal learning with a tiered approach depending on how long social workers have been out of practice. Returning social workers will have six months from registration to meet the return to practice requirements.

Read full details in the return to practice for social workers article.

When will the revised Codes of Practice be available?

They are available here on our website from 1 May 2024.

Will the Codes be available in print or different formats?

Yes, we have different formats on the website including printer friendly, ereader and large print.

Services can order pocket sized Codes cards, posters and postcards using this form.

Endorsing applications

From 3 June we will only ask applicants which organisation they work for.

We will ask the person who endorses the application:

  • the Care Inspectorate service number/s
  • to confirm the service type/s the applicant works in
  • to confirm the levels/s of job role they are employed at.

Get ready for the changes

Employers may want to update anything they have relating to SSSC registration before we make the changes, so they are ready for 3 June. This could include:

  • guidance
  • policies
  • procedures
  • IT systems.

Employer toolkit

We’ve developed an employer toolkit to help you prepare for the changes, including a presentation, poster and checklist. Get the employer toolkit here.


When will the changes happen? 

We’ll make the changes on 3 June 2024. This means we need to start making changes to our system behind the scenes so that we are ready. You won’t see anything different until we switch over but during the lead in time, we will need to stop some parts of the registration process. For example, we will stop applications and stop renewals as we prepare to make the changes (see ‘Can I still apply for registration’ and ‘What if I’m due to renew’ for details).  

Can I still apply for registration? 

The last date for submitting registration applications is 10 April 2024 and you can apply until 5pm that day. If you don’t submit your application before the deadline you will need to start again when applications re-open on 3 June 2024. The system will not save partial applications, so please make sure you complete and submit your application before 10 April 2024. 

What if I miss the deadline for applying? 

The Care Inspectorate know about the changes and that we are stopping applications for a short period. The best way to remove any uncertainty about being able to work is to submit your application before 10 April 2024. Read the guidance on applications here.

When will applications open again? 

We’ll be ready to start accepting applications again from 3 June 2024. 

What if I’m due to renew?

Registrants due to renew between 1 March and 31 May 2024 won’t need to complete their registration renewal. We’ve contacted all affected registrants to let you know that we will extend your registration for another year. You must still pay your annual fee to remain on the Register. We will let you know how to pay.

Paying fees during the changes

If you are due to pay your annual fee before 3 June, you can do this in your MySSSC account or by Tonepay on 03300 883719.

Telling us about a change in employment

From 17 April to 3 June you cannot update changes to employment records in MySSSC.

We can only accept a change of employment relating to a fitness to practise referral or a case during that time. Please email with your changes.

How will I find out how the changes affect me? 

We’ll contact registrants directly to let you know how the changes affect you. It’s important your contact details are up to date, so you get our messages. Sign into MySSSC now to check and update them.

How do I know my new Register part? 

We’ll automatically move registrants to the correct part of the new Register and will let you know. You don’t need to do anything.

When do I need to complete my annual declaration? 

We’ll let you know when you need to complete your annual declaration. It will be around the time of your registration date and you can do it in MySSSC. 

You’ll need to confirm your personal and employment details or provide updated details, pay your annual fee and confirm you’ve completed your continuous professional learning (CPL).

When will the three-month registration deadline for new workers start? 

From 3 June 2024 anyone starting a role that requires registration has three months to apply for registration. You should start your application as soon as possible. 


This page was last updated: 03 June 2024.

Who should apply to register

Registration is compulsory for many social service roles so visit our ‘Help with Register parts, fees and qualifications tool' for more information.

Access the tool here

Search the Register

Check the registration status of a social worker or social care worker employed in Scotland

Search the Register

Continuous professional learning (CPL)

Continuous professional learning (CPL) is the learning we do for work which helps us develop our knowledge, skills and professional behaviour so we can deliver our best practice.

SSSC Codes of Practice

The Codes of Practice set out the standards of practice and behaviour expected of social service workers and their employers.

Registration and MySSSC help centre

Visit our registration and MySSSC help centre to find the answers to common questions, including qualifications for registration, MySSSC accounts and employer access.